List:       batik-users
Subject:    Re: Layer structure and IDs not maintained when transcoding SVG to PDF
From:       Jeremias Maerki <dev () jeremias-maerki ! ch>
Date:       2007-12-13 15:54:23

Jay,

I know the bigger part of the PDF spec and I can't see a mechanism to
preserve those layers. Maybe some grouping could be done by marking
content but most probably AI doesn't support any such thing. You'd have
to do it backwards: check with Adobe if AI can somehow restore layers
from a PDF and then see how this could be produced.

Or even better, get Adobe to fix their SVG import. But that's a really
difficult thing to do.

On 12.12.2007 22:41:25 jalder wrote:

> Hello everyone, I am having trouble converting a SVG map of the world to PDF
> and maintaining the original layer structure and layer IDs in the SVG. I did
> some digging on the forums and didn't see anything, so I hope this hasn't
> been addressed before. Our goal is to be able to convert SVG maps into a PDF
> so that they can be imported into Adobe Illustrator. AI can import the SVG
> directly, but some items are geographically shifted in the wrong place.
> Since AI doesn't import our SVG maps properly we turned to PDF, which does
> import correctly. I am using the Batik 1.6 transcoding package and it worked
> like a charm. The catch is the layer structure and layer ids in the original
> SVG are not persevered in the PDF. For example, we have a layer for text
> labels on the map which then has sub layers for street labels, city labels,
> county label, etc. When I import the PDF into AI the layer structure is
> completely flattened.
>
> Is this a known limitation of Batik? Does the PDF format even support nested
> layers in the first place?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jay
> --