List:       batik-users
Subject:    Re: WYSIWYG Eclipse Editor using batik
From:       Gary Frederick <gary.frederick () jsoft ! com>
Date:       2004-12-27 12:21:34

Howdy

I'm getting in to this thread a bit late (the holidays caught up with
me) and wanted to say I am interested.

Good comments!!!

We are working on a programming editor that lets kids program visually
with blocks like the work MIT and then Lego did.

I tried several ways of getting the job done. Some tests were:

SVG with JavaScript - was slow
SVG with XUL in Mozilla - the SVG support was not all there then
Batik - would have worked but I found Eclipse

We are currently working on using Eclipse's graphical editing framework
GEF. It's working (sorta ;-) ). We still have XML+XSLT=>SVG and I hope
to have a view that displays the blocks in SVG in the Eclipse based
editor. I'm not sure if we would have the SVG view be editable or just a
view that can show variations on the graphics displayed.

I have not done anything with Eclipse's EMF other than look enough to
know that GEF/EMF is the way to go.

When (if...) we have something worth looking at, I'll post here.

I'm also iterested in talking with others that are doing SVG with
Eclipse. Who is following up?

Gary