List:       batik-users
Subject:    Re: Viewing text representation of the DOM in Squiggle
From:       Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWeese () Kodak ! com>
Date:       2003-10-25 12:28:15

Hi Dimi,

Dimi Shahbaz wrote:

> Using squiggle, I can view a tree-representation of the SVG DOM using
> CTRL+D.  Is there an easy way to see a textual representation of the SVG
> DOM?
>
> This would be the same as "View Source...", except that I am using
> javascript to add elements into document.  "View Source" does not
> reflect these new nodes, but the DOM viewer does.

     Well, this can in fact be quite tricky to do "right".
It should be pretty simple for you to use a DOM serializer
(batik.dom.util.DOMUtilities) to do turn the DOM tree into
text and then do the same thing as View Source does (see
batik.apps.svgbrowser.JSVGViewerFrame:1448).

     However the really tricky bit is the CSS.  So this view
would accurately reflect the DOM but not the CSS values.  We
have considered different ways to do this "correctly" but
it is in fact very difficult to do.