List:       basslist
Subject:    Re: Time align and xover tweaking
From:       "GoobAudio" <philsaudio () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2000-11-29 21:27:11

: Brad wrote...
: "Just how is this tweaking done? I am [supposed] to model,
then buy the
: components that I need, assemble the xover. Now if I want
to tweak it I need
: to buy new components. It seems that this could get
costly!

Exactly and this is part of the price audiophiles pay when
they buy production speakers. Some times it takes years to
refine a design ************************ but there is
another way.

Shameless self promotion follows.

Phil Abbate
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
                              LspCAD Professional
        Puts YOUR EARS in the LoudSPeaker Computer Aided
Design loop.

You have heard rumblings about LspCAD professional - Now it
is time
to experience the [[[[[[[[[[[AURAL EMULATOR[[[[[[[[[ for
yourself.
This is the product that defines the way loudspeaker
crossovers
will be designed from now on.
                 A FREE DEMO is now available for download.
                 http://hem.passagen.se/ijdata/lspcad52.htm
LspCAD Professional has all of the features of LspCAD 4.x
you have come to rely on with one HUGE innovation that you
will find nowhere else in the speaker industry.
                     +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                     YOU CAN NOW LISTEN AS YOU ADJUST THE
                         CROSSOVER ON THE COMPUTER.
                     +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
In the time it used to take you to order the parts for your
first
listen crossover you can LISTEN to a hundred different
crossovers.
No more wondering if the tweeter will sound better with a
second or third order crossover. Hear the difference
instantly.
Swap between stored crossovers of any order or configuration
in seconds to compare them with YOUR EARS.

You can now use the power of your PC to implement the
crossover
in the digital domain. This innovation allows you to hear
the
speaker playing your choice of music while you change
crossover
values all the while watching LspCAD simulated speaker
measurement windows change along in real-time with the sound
you hear.

                     ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                     Frequently Asked Questions
                     +++++++++++++++++++++++++

Q). How many drivers can I drive with LspCAD professional?

A) I first tested the software with a $10.00 Asound card
that supports 2-way crossovers in mono. After that
experience
I purchased a four channel SoundBlaster Live Platinum. The
SB platinum
and 1024 cards work with the program - other 4ch soundcards
must support
interleaved MME. If you download the demo a special small
program (test4ch.exe) helps to  check whether or not this is
the
case. I have already implemented several stereo 2-way
crossovers and one
mono 3-way and one mono 4-way crossover. As of 8/20/00 the
Echo Darla24
has been tested with LspCAD Pro. With its 8 channels it
supports stereo 4-way!

Q) How do I connect it to my speakers?

A) The line outs of the soundcard
(or outboard DAC's) are connected to two,three or
four amplifier channels which drive the
tweeter, midrange, woofer and subwoofer.

If you have the SB-Live digital I/O card and a couple
of spare DAC's about, you can use them to convert the
crossed over signal emanating from the SB's S/PDIF outs into
analog and feed the four channels converted on your
favorite high-end DAC directly to the amp and then the
speakers.

Q) How do I configure the program to work with my speakers?

A) To get correlation with the sound you hear
and the graphics you see accurate
 frequency and impedance data must
be imported into LspCAD. Measurements can be
made with any of the popular loudspeaker
measurement tools such as Laud, Clio, LMS,
MLSsa, or DRA-pro which output ASCII data
of the form Freq-Mag-Phase.

Q Can the emulator work with passive as
well as active crossovers?

A) Although the emulator operates as an electronic
crossover during emulation, crossover sections can
be implemented in the target drivers as passive,
active or a combination of the two.

Regards,
Phil Abbate
philsaudio@mindspring.com
LspCAD Dealer
http://philsaudio.stryke.com

For more information on LspCAD pro go to
http://philsaudio.stryke.com/lsppro.htm