List:       basslist
Subject:    Re: Info request
From:       "Lukas Louw" <louw1 () att ! net>
Date:       2001-11-30 13:25:33

George,

I have put together a few amps with their evaluation boards, plus one based
on a concept layout that I had done for a client, and they perform very
well. In a good setup, the Tripath amps performed favorably to analogs amps.
EMI is tricky to control, but you will have that problem with any switching
amp.......

We had looked at the LC Audio, ICEpower and a few others who claim to have
proprietary Class D solutions, but their prices for production quantities
are insane, so we did not bother getting samples for evaluation. For the
cost of a single channel LC Audio or ICEpower module, we can get 4 channels
based on Tripath in  production quantities. I can't see them selling much on
an OEM basis, unless they change their pricing structure. Could eeb that
they are still trying to recoup developments costs. For now, Tripath
products seem to be the most cost effective for a good quality higher power
Class D solution. TI has some interesting looking stuff, but their licencing
policies were nuts the last time I looked.

The small quantity pricing of any of these solutions are fairly comparable
as far as the DIY is concerned, though. Sorry I can't comment on the LC
Audio audio quality - the specs certainly look good.

There has also been good feedback here on the list from people who had used
the Tripath evaluation boards for DIY amps.

Hope that helps, if any....

Lukas