List:       barracuda
Subject:    RE: [Barracuda] Fwd: RE: another release?
From:       Jacob Kjome <hoju () visi ! com>
Date:       2003-07-31 23:24:59

Hi Christian,

At 04:04 PM 7/31/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Ok, here's my response to this...I don't have a really strong opinion here,
>but I'm inclined to say that we ought to leave it the way it is until
>someone explicitly runs into this issue and requests we address it. In other
>words, I'm reluctant to change it to fix a hypothetical situation with
>something that _doesn't_ error (and then trust that the developer is going
>to notice the problem...if someone binds a BAction component to something we
>don't know how to render, I think we ought to throw the exception like we
>have been doing.
>
>That said, if someone has a specific case where they want to be doing this,
>then I'm totally open to hearing about it (and changing the renderers to
>support it).
>
>That's my particular take on it...your thoughts?
>
>Again, sorry to take so long in responding. Anyone else want to chime in?

I already updated it, actually.  I created a new render strategy called
"CUSTOM_SCRIPT".  See my explanation in A_Changes_History for details or
the javadoc of RenderStrategy.  It basically allows for the NEVER_SCRIPT
solution where we throw an exception when we can't render the component
properly (at least it wouldn't work on the client side without javascript)
and the CUSTOM_SCRIPT where the developer specifies for the renderer not to
apply scripting because the developer has already done custom scripting and
doesn't want Barracuda to interfere with it, which also means not throwing
exceptions.

BTW, there actually was a specific case for doing this.  It was about a
month or so ago in the archives where someone reported not liking the
HTMLActionRender behavior because he had his own custom scripts and
Barracuda was blowing chunks when he used NEVER_SCRIPT.  I remedied the
situation somewhat by attempting to first checking if the input or button
was of type "submit" and, if not and was of type "button", then I'd modify
it to "submit".  If that check failed (eg...it was of type "reset" or
something"), then an exception would be thrown.  CUSTOM_SCRIPT allows for
specifying that no exception be thrown in these cases and just assume that
the developer has already taken care of things with custom javascript.

We still throw exceptions for components that we don't support at all for
the action renderer.  That hasn't and won't change.  I think the way I set
it up is the best of all worlds and allows for some serious flexibility.

Jake