List:       barracuda
Subject:    Barracuda:  Detecting Client Javascript Enabled
From:       barracuda () enhydra ! org (Christian Cryder)
Date:       2001-11-23 16:21:55

Hi Kirk,

> I'm assuming that BLinks automatically add the '$csjs' parm
> to the url..but what about included html files and static pages
> referencing pages within the Barracuda framework..
>
> Eg..
> Take a look at the links in CompEx3Footer2.html as an example..
>
> What this means is that, the server needs to determine the capabilities
> again. That's a extra jump/rewrite when navigating from links that's are
not
> blinks...

What _should_ be happening is that right before the page is rendered, we run
through all the links in the page and append on a $csjs=false. This happens
in ScriptDetector.prepareClientResp(), which gets called from
ComponentGateway and DefaultViewHandler. So in theory, it should work
without multiple trips to the server (except for the very first request,
perhaps, which might not have the $csjs param in the link)

Now, when I go here:
http://localhost:8010/Barracuda/tutorial/HelloWorld2?$csjs=true

I'm getting a scripting error (in both IE and NN 6), which means something
is broken there...I'm not sure exactly what the problem is...I'll try and
take a look at it as soon as possible.

> Secondly.....
> I should be able to turn this functinality on and off per application.

You can. There is a RenderStrategy class which can be set on a per component
basis, a per-component hierarchy basis, or on a per application basis. If
you set RenderStrategy to NEVER_SCRIPT, the renderers won't use scripting
even though the client may actually support it. Right now, the only two
strategies are SCRIPT_AS_NEEDED (the default) and NEVER_SCRIPT...if we need
other strategies as well, it should be very easy to add them. If you search
the archives for 'RenderStrategy', I think you'll find a reference to this
which should explain how to use it.

Hope that helps,
Christian
Christian Cryder [christianc@granitepeaks.com]
Barracuda - MVC Component Framework for Webapps
http://barracuda.enhydra.org
        "What a great time to be a Geek"