List:       bacula-users
Subject:    Re: [Bacula-users] HP 1/8 G2 Autoloader
From:       "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists () xunil ! at>
Date:       2024-05-16 9:10:02

Am 15.05.24 um 16:02 schrieb Rob Gerber:
> Stefan, are your bacula catalog backups being made to a disk volume, as
> is default, or to a tape volume? If being made to a disk volume you
> could restore a catalog backup. If your catalog backups were being made
> to that same machine whose backups were purged, and you lost the
> database entries for the catalog backups, you can still run bscan
> against the catalog backups to do a restore.
>
> By default, a database restore will purge all other entries in the
> database. So if you're going to make a restore of the bacula catalog
> you'll need to do it soon vs later OR maybe try to do some hybrid method
> where you restore entries partially later, but I have no knowledge of
> how to do that and I don't know how dangerous or foolish such a thing
> may be.
>
> I assume right now you aren't doing many or any backups because your
> tape drive is down (except for the backups made to disk that you're
> trying to purge/prune because you accidentally backed up data that's too
> big for your disk storage). However, once you start running more backups
> you increasingly accumulate more catalog data you don't want to lose.
>
> If catalog entries for volumes other than the disk volumes on your
> storage were lost (backups made to tape via that client), your system
> might attempt to automatically reuse tape volumes once your tape system
> is back online, thereby overwriting backups you'd want to keep. Maybe
> watch out for that.
>
> The data on your tape volumes is obviously still available, and worst
> case you could do a bscan operation against those volumes once tape
> drive is operational again. Would just have to be sure any impacted
> tapes aren't automatically overwritten. A bscan operation would
> definitely take a while, depending on how many tapes are impacted (if any).
>
> A catalog restore is almost certainly what you want to do, presuming
> there isn't a bunch of new catalog entries made after the accidental
> purge event.
>
> To manually remove the disk volumes, and associated job and file
> entries, do a delete operation. Easily done in Bacularis or baculum, (I
> haven't done it in bconsole though I'm sure it's doable there too). I
> would have a catalog backup restored BEFORE I performed the delete
> operation, and I would be very careful to select the correct volumes to
> delete.

Thanks for your detailed reply!  I decided to just continue with that
status ... and rm-ed the orphaned volume-files manually.

This is a temporary storage only (I assume), as we send in the tape
drive for analysis and repair. I don't know what to expect for a 10 yr
old LTO-6 drive ... but that's the cheapest and first option right now.

I adjusted my setup to use more space for the file storage, add
compression to some jobs and let Bacula use more virtual tapes.

So far the jobs succeed ...

thanks anyway, the information is precious for the future, maybe ...

ps: afai understand the catalog backups went to tape as well. Right now
they go to "File", sure.