List:       bacula-users
Subject:    Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula purges old jobs and I don't want it to do that
From:       Phil Stracchino <phils () caerllewys ! net>
Date:       2023-08-18 23:24:18

On 8/18/23 17:24, Rob Gerber wrote:
> verification jobs. My guess is that bacula purged job records for some
> reason, possibly because they were older than 6 months. I have volume
> retention set to 1000 years, but maybe I need to add something for job
> retention?

There are three retention periods you need to consider:
— Volume retention
— Job retention
— File retention
I suggest reading up on these in the documentation so that you
understand what each of them does.  You can then adjust your pools, and
update all of your volumes, as necessary.

> Background info: I am backing up some large video files with LTO8 tape.
> My goal is to back these files up once, and do incremental backups to
> capture any new or changed files in the fileset. I do not expect
> the large media files to be changed once placed on the disk. Basically,
> I am using an "incrementals forever" strategy.

You might want to consider virtual-full jobs as a part of that strategy.

> I am using bacula 13.x. We have a qualstar q24 autochanger. We use LTO 8
> media. The fileset in question is around 70TiB. I welcome any assistance
> the list could provide. I'm sure it has to be something simple.

You could fix your retention and then scan the pruned volumes back in
using bscan.  By the sound of it, that would take a while, but it's doable.

What you need to keep in mind is that an "incrementals forever" strategy
is also a "Bacula database grows forever" strategy.  That will
eventually become a problem.

--
   Phil Stracchino
   Babylon Communications