List:       bacula-users
Subject:    Re: [Bacula-users] Issue upgrading to 9.0.6 from 7.4.7
From:       Ian Douglas <ian () zti ! co ! za>
Date:       2018-03-29 8:30:49

On Sunday, 18 March 2018 5:41:14 PM SAST Phil Stracchino wrote:

> There's two issues here:
> 1.  MySQL has historically allowed columns to be declared NOT NULL
> without a DEFAULT.  This is wrong and has always been wrong (because
> you're telling MySQL a column may not be left empty, then not telling it
> what to put in it if you don't supply a value).  MySQL 5.7 and MariaDB
> 10.2, out of the box, don't allow it any more.
>
> 2.  MySQL has historically allowed zero parts in date fields, and
> accepted '00-00-0000' as a valid date (including as part of a DATETIME
> default).  This is wrong and has always been wrong (because there is no
> year 0, month 0, or day 0).  MySQL 5.7 and MariaDB 10.2, out of the box,
> don't allow it any more.  I infer that PostgreSQL still does, since
> nobody has run into this problem with PostgreSQL.

Okay, so if I want to "keep things stable" for a while, should I defer updates
of both MariaDB and Bacula?

I've got Bacula on three different platforms to worry about (Gentoo, CentOS,
FreeBSD).

Gentoo is not upgrading MariaDB yet, still at 10.1.31.
But this box (director and database) wants to upgrade Bacula to 9.0.6. from
7.4.4.

Thanks, Ian

--
ian@zti.co.za http://www.zti.co.za