List:       bacula-users
Subject:    Re: [Bacula-users] Recommended OS for VM?
From:       Davin Church <davinchurch () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-05-19 22:19:33

[Attachment #2 (text/html)]

looks like I'm still going to have to learn some things about how to put
this together, but you've all given me a great start.<br><br>
Davin<br><br>
At 01:22 AM 5/18/2017, Kern Sibbald wrote:<br>
is implemented, built and tested is Ubuntu 16.04.&nbsp; Mint is
essentially the same thing with a slightly different user interface. All
distros are good and each has its advantages and disadvantages
...<br><br>
Best regards,<br><br>
Kern<br><br>
On 05/16/2017 10:16 PM, Davin Church wrote:<br>
so terribly ancient that I've just<br>
got to get rid of it, but no pre-compiled updates are available for<br>
Windows.&nbsp; So it looks like my best bet to is to create a
VirtualBox<br>
VM (on my Win8.1 host) and load some flavor of *nix on it and
install<br>
the appropriate binaries and run the system from there.<br><br>
However, since I'm barely conversant with *nix OSes in general (and<br>
none specifically), I'd like a recommendation on which (free) OS to<br>
use.&nbsp; I'd like it to be easy to acquire and set up both the OS
and<br>
the latest community Bacula binaries so it doesn't strain my limited<br>
technical skills.&nbsp; It would also be best if that OS wasn't prone
to<br>
having compatibility issues that I see mentioned from time to<br>
time.&nbsp; I'll be backing up to disk rather than tape, so that
should<br>
simplify things a bit.&nbsp; I presume that MySQL would still be a good
DB<br>
choice to use in whichever OS I end up with?<br><br>
So has anyone got a recommendation (and perhaps some download links) for
me?<br><br>
Davin<br><br>