List:       bacula-users
Subject:    Re: [Bacula-users] PKI Signatures working?
From:       Ana_Emília_M._Arruda <emiliaarruda () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-09-25 1:48:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hello Kern,

Thank you. I did not remember to mention about the TLS Authentication. And
this is a possibility of verifying the client (peer/FD) before data
exchange between daemons.

I thought that Markus was talking about data authenticity and not FD
authentication. In the first case, the goal is to assure the source of the
data. This can be achieved using a MAC (Message Authentication Code) or pki
digital signatures. The TLS Authentication (TLS Verify Peer = yes) used by
bacula daemons are intended for entity authentication, which means that
they (daemons) are sure that the other entity (the other daemon) they are
talking to is who they believe to be.

In the case of a message authentication, in this case a backup data
authentication or an entire volume authentication, the only way I see that
is treated by the bacula cryptography implementation is when the data sent
by the client is also encrypted (a crypto session is created for sending
the data encrypted). That means that your data is firstly encrypted and
then signed by FD. This assures data confidentiality, integrity and
authenticity through the use of pki digital signatures.

I undesrtood that Markus was talking about generating a MAC or a hash+pki
signature of the data sent by FD. And I was not able to see this in the
bacula crypto open code. Also, in this case, the restore FD that was
receiving the data from the first FD must have the public key of the FD
that originated the data (in the case of a pki signature) or the symmetric
key used in the case of a MAC.

Hope this helps a little more to clarify this thread.

Best regards,
Ana