List:       bacula-users
Subject:    Re: [Bacula-users] Two Jobs same Pool one with Spooling and one without
From:       Kern Sibbald <kern () sibbald ! com>
Date:       2014-11-30 16:34:13

On 11/29/2014 09:01 PM, Patrick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Last night I started two jobs, one with data spooling and the other without data \
> spooling. Both jobs used the same pool and only one tape drive was available.
> What I have seen from the logs:
> Both jobs started. The without data spooling job mounted the tape drive with a \
> volume from the desired pool and write files to it. The data spooling job also \
> started, use the same tape drive with the same volume and write files into the \
> spooling area. The data spooling finished spooling and write the data to the \
> volume, the without data spooling job still runs and write data to the same volume. \
>
> My Question:
> If I ran two jobs, one with data spooling the other without data spooling, at the \
> same time with the same pool and only one tape drive, the data will be mixed on the \
> volume?

That depends. If the job not spooling finishes before the spooling job
despools there will be no mixing.  In any case data will not be
interleaved while a job is despooling, because it locks all other
threads during the despooling.

> And a possible restore will take a long long time?

The restore might possibly take a little longer if the data is heavily
interleaved, but if it is a modern tape drive, skipping data from
another job should be very fast, and you probably won't see the difference.

Best regards,
Kern