List:       bacula-users
Subject:    Re: [Bacula-users] Disksetup for spool-area?
From:       Alan Brown <ajb2 () mssl ! ucl ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2008-03-31 12:37:43

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, Jesper Krogh wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have gigabit network between all the servers that I do backup from. I
> can spool to the SD-filesystem in parallel but I cannot fill the link to
> the SD-server. Conclusion must be that the filesystem on the spool area
> is the bottleneck. This seems to be worse when I have 3 jobs spooling
> and 1 despooling at the same time.

I do something similar.

For this, We've got raid0 across 4 drives - and it only just keeps up for
what you're describing (aggregate throughput about 110MB/sec, vs up to
140-150Mb/sec for sustained single file read/writes)

This is a limitation of the drive hardware (seektime, not rotational
speed), not the RAID0 setup

If you want to go faster, you'll need solid state disk drives - or a
stonking great big ramdisk. Either way isn't cheap.

AB