List:       bacula-users
Subject:    Re: [Bacula-users] OfflineOnUnmount strange behaviour
From:       Bob Hetzel <beh () case ! edu>
Date:       2008-02-28 21:57:35

From: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt@phoenixsoftware.de>

>> >    OfflineOnUnmount = yes;             # when unmounted, eject tape
>> > [...] has two unexpected side effects.
>> > a) If I label a new tape it is ejected after the operation, followed by
>> > a message from Bacula that it couldn't mount the new tape.
>> > b) I cannot relabel a tape while a job is waiting for a tape; when the
>> > the relabel command is sent to the storage daemon, the tape is ejected
>> > and then a message appears "relabel operation failed".
>
> And another one:
>
> c) The tape is ejected when the storage daemon shuts down, eg. when the
> server is rebooted.
>
>> > Can that be avoided?
>
> Other than by avoiding that option altogether, that is - which is what
> I am doing now.
>
> Thx
> T.

I concur with your experiences...

Alternatively, I've found that I needed to modify the unload section of
my mtx-changer script to uncomment out the line to take the device
offline and then use a "sleep 5" before the line to unload the tape.

I've also found that running a "make install" overwrites those needed
changes by overwriting my mtx-changer script with the one that comes
with the bacula source so now I don't do that anymore... I just copy the
binaries myself.