List:       bacula-users
Subject:    [Bacula-users] Multiplexing multiple jobs to tape
From:       Chris Howells <chris () chrishowells ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-08-31 9:29:42

Hi,

I am trying to figure out whether bacula supports multiplexing multiple
simultaneous backup jobs to the same tape - having googled, the results
are inconclusive :)

I am currently playing with an LTO-4 tape drive which has a raw data
transfer rate of 120MB/sec. Clearly any single machine is going to have
difficulty in maxing out the drive. I'd therefore like to try running
backups from multiple machines to the drive simultaneously.

If it does support multiplexing, what kind of options do I need in the
config files? I currently have bacula talking to the drive, but I was
getting 25MB/sec backing up a 10gig file of zeros (admittedly from a
single SATA disk so that's not too surprising), but just 10MB/sec doing
a trial backup of a home directory server over the network, from a
pretty fast RAID. We get better performance from our current LTO-2
drives and Legato Networker :(

Thanks.