List:       bacula-users
Subject:    Re: [Bacula-users] Multiplexing multiple jobs to tape
From:       "John Drescher" <drescherjm () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-08-31 15:21:11

> I believe the 120MB/s is the raw speed, 240MB/s is the compressed speed.

I tried to check on that but I did not find the direct answer. But I
did find an article by IBM that stated that LTO4 did 120MB/s while
LTO3 did 80MB/s. So I went to my tape vendor's web site and it stated
that the 80MB/s for LTO3 was compressed with 40MB/s native so I came
to the conclusion that the 120MB/s number was the compressed number...

> Since all I was backing up was lots of zeros (from /dev/zero) it should
> have compressed that quite well anyway :)

You are correct. That is why I test with actual data from a raw partition.

Is this a SCSI tape drive? You might want to check on the speed it is
communicating at (possibly stuck in LVD 80MB/s mode)...

John

John