List:       bacula-devel
Subject:    Re: [Bacula-devel] [patch] Replacing sha1 with an undoubtedly free version
From:       Kern Sibbald <kern () sibbald ! com>
Date:       2017-10-22 9:42:03

[Attachment #2 (text/html)]

  <head>
  </head>
      will be happy to consider your request, but have several
      questions:</p>
      license is very much like a BSD license and I don't see a problem
      with it on the license stand point.</p>
      not include any copyrighted material?</p>
      code in Bacula vs the new proposed SHA1.</p>
      routines to ensure that they are identical.</p>
      I am considering changing the current MD5 default hash used for
      authentication as well as the file data hash to SHA1, so the speed
      of the SHA1 algorithm will become much more important.</p>
      created a number of unexpected problems (e.g. with big endian
      architectures or compiling on "esoteric" architectures/OSes.
      Consequently, I would prefer some strong arguments in your
      Leonhardt wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:874ls2oe0n.fsf@arioch.leonhardt.eu">
      <pre wrap="">Hi Kern,

would you consider the following patch that replaces the SHA1 function
with another one by Steve Reid that's undoubtedly free?
(c.f. <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" \
href="http://bugs.bacula.org/view.php?id=1869">http://bugs.bacula.org/view.php?id=1869</a>)

The proposed replacement is used in many open source projects, as can be
verified at <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" \
href="https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=Steve+Reid">https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=Steve+Reid</a>

In essence, it just changes the sole occurence of "SHA1Context" to
"SHA1_CTX" in src/lib/crypto.c and replaces src/lib/sha1.[ch] with those
found in libsolve (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" \
href="https://github.com/openSUSE/libsolv/tree/master/src">https://github.com/openSUSE/libsolv/tree/master/src</a>).

I'll run tests with the patch if there's a chance that it could be
adopted.

Regards,

Carsten

</pre>
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" \
Bacula-devel mailing list
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" \
href="mailto:Bacula-devel@lists.sourceforge.net">Bacula-devel@lists.sourceforge.net</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" \