List:       bacula-devel
Subject:    Re: [Bacula-devel] [Bacula-users] Request for help
From:       Kern Sibbald <kern () sibbald ! com>
Date:       2015-02-02 8:34:03

[Attachment #2 (text/html)]

  <head>
  </head>
      forks are bad, though somewhat jokingly I wrote a blog "Not all
      Forks are Bad", which should convey the idea that I am not
      particularly in favor of forking (i.e. starting a new project) in
      most cases.   Note, I use the word fork in the original sense of
      creating a new project while git people typically use the word
      fork these days to mean "make some changes" as probably 99.9% of
      git forks are really just patches to the original and not a new
      project.<br>
      I have heard the arguments about me blogging about Bareos being
      bad for Bacula and just advertising Bareos, and though there is
      something there, I think the advantages of telling people the
      truth outweigh the disadvantages of solely hearing very well
      crafted spin-doctoring from Bareos.<br>
      If you look at the Bacula Systems vs Bareos lawsuit from the point
      of view of the Bacula Systems board of directors, which is
      responsible for assuring the salaries of quite a few people
      including the open source "fanatic" founders (6 of the 8), you
      might understand that when someone steals code that differentiates
      (short term) Bacula Enterprise from Bacula community, which is
      what permits those employees to live, you will understand that
      Bacula Systems had no choice. To do nothing would have been a
      blank check to steal even more code.   <br>
      Unfortunately, there are very few open source companies that
      survive only on improving the product and selling services -- the
      world does not (yet) work that way.   Open core companies can,
      however, survive if they work very hard, and most open core
      companies contribute back to the community.<br>
      Best regards,<br>
      Kern<br>
      On 01.02.2015 20:46, Ben Erridge wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAGHO83iXtOQ3n9GEcTrQpu3ysX2a5RXtMhi0xDNaXp1Q2gdZ3g@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
                  style="font-size:12pt">I
                  doubt my opinion holds much weight either way but if
                  you want my
              color="#222222"><font face="arial, sans-serif"><font
                  style="font-size:12pt"><br>
                  style="font-size:12pt">As
                  anyone would expect both sides say the other one is
                  lying about many
                  things. I can only assume,  at this point,  the truth
                  lies
              color="#222222"><font face="arial, sans-serif"><font
                  style="font-size:12pt"><br>
                  style="font-size:12pt">With
                  that said I think this lawsuit only hurts Bacula. I
                  never even heard
                  of Bareos until this lawsuit came up. Then I started
                  reading about it
                  all over the place. Including a bunch of nonsense out
                  of the Bacula
                  camp like, "If you use Baroes software, Bacula will
                  sue you" and
                  "Braching is bad for open source". All that really put
                  a bad
                  taste in my mouth about Bacula, especially because I
                  could Identify
                  with things the Bareos camp was saying like, "Bacula
                  isn't updating
                  the open source project" which was certainly true.
                  Along with the
                  fact that I find this whole open core model to be
                  distasteful and
                  anit-opensource in general. No Windows client binaries
                  available
                  without paying Bacula Systems for them for how long? \
                  style="font-size:12pt">Most
                  of this has no real baring on the cases merit But I
                  think everything
                  that has happened has hurt Bacula's reputation
                  significantly and will
                  likely hurt the project more than it will help the
                  project if the
                  lawsuit is successful. If the lawsuit fails then
                  Bacula looks even
                  worse. Also, while this lawsuit is carrying on, it
                  only spotlights
                  the fact that there isn't a really good open source
                  competitor which
                  will undoubtedly kick start numerous projects. (Not
                  sure that is a
                  bad thing but it is definitely bad for Bacula \
                  style="font-size:12pt">I
                  think if Bacula would have moved on and just focused
                  on making a
                  better product and selling services they would have
                  continued to be
                  the de facto standard backup solution on Linux for a
                  style="font-size:12pt">That
                  is my humble opinion. I truly wish you the best and I
                  certainly do
              color="#222222"><font face="arial, sans-serif"><font
            Sibbald <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
                href="mailto:kern@sibbald.com" \
0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204);border-left-style:solid;padding-left:1ex">
                  You are entitled to your opinion, but I find that such
                  opinions don't carry as much weight as they would if
                  you give some reason for it.<br>
                  My reason is simple: Bacula Systems has spent quite a
                  lot of money (over $1 Million) paying salaries to
                  develop code for Bacula Enterprise.   It has given a
                  very large chunk of that code (somewhere between
                  50-80%) back to the community and will give much more
                  over time.   One of the persons involved in the lawsuit
                  took proprietary code developed by Bacula Systems and
                  released it in the public Bareos git repository
                  without authorization.   He apparently has in his
                  possession something around an additional 100,000
                  lines of proprietary code that he could also release.<br>
                  I have devoted most of my time since 1998 to open
                  source and spent 15 years developing the Bacula
                  community version, which is 100% open source, and by
                  creating up Bacula Systems, much more code than I
                  could ever create alone will be contributed to the
                  Bacula community project.<br>
                  I believe that anyone who steals proprietary code and
                  releases it publicly through an open source fork
                  (Bareos) has very poor ethical standards and is
                  damaging the whole open source community.<br>
                  Best regards,<br>
                  Kern
                      On 01.02.2015 18:33, Ben Erridge wrote:<br>
                        like to express that I do not support this
                        lawsuit.  </div>
                          12:26 PM, Kern Sibbald <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a
                              moz-do-not-send="true"
                              href="mailto:kern@sibbald.com"
                              target="_blank">kern@sibbald.com</a>&gt;</span>
                          wrote:<br>
                            style="margin:0px 0px 0px
0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204);border-left-style:solid;padding-left:1ex">Hello,<br>
                            I don't usually as for help on these lists,
                            because I feel I am here to<br>
                            build something for you (Bacula) and serve
                            you rather than the other way<br>
                            around.   If that intrigues you, please read
                            on ...<br>
                            The first hearing for the Bacula Systems vs
                            Bareos lawsuit is coming up<br>
                            the 9th of February.<br>
                            I am sending this to everyone on the Bacula
                            lists.   You may not be a<br>
                            developer or a contributor, but as a Bacula
                            user you can still show your<br>
                            support for the Bacula project by filling
                            out and sending in (scan +<br>
                            email) an FLA. The issues are described
                            below -- basically Bareos, which<br>
                            is without any legal standing is
                            nevertheless attacking my and thus<br>
                            Bacula Systems right to have a proprietary
                            version of Bacula.   If Bareos<br>
                            wins, it may signal the end of the Bacula
                            open source project as you<br>
                            have known it for the last 15 years, because
                            the major contributor to<br>
                            the Bacula community version is Bacula
                            Systems, and Bacula Systems<br>
                            would no longer be in a position to
                            contribute to the Bacula project.<br>
                            Please help the Bacula project by printing,
                            signing, and sending the<br>
                            attached FLA to me by post, or by scanning
                            it and sending it by email<br>
                            as an attachment (all pages, please).<br>
                            More details:<br>
                            Unfortunately since Bareos forked the Bacula
                            code myself, Bacula, and<br>
                            Bacula Systems have been challenged by a
                            former Bacula developer who<br>
                            says I misled him in signing the FLA as he
                            did in May of 2010. He claims<br>
                            that he did not know I intended to take
                            Bacula into the Enterprise<br>
                            market with proprietary code. Furthermore,
                            he claims (with no real<br>
                            basis, in my opinion) that I do not have
                            FLAs from everyone who<br>
                            contributed and that the project must start
                            as a dual licensed project<br>
                            (totally untrue).   Note, Bacula Systems was
                            formed in 2008, but dual<br>
                            licensing only started in the 2011-2012 time
                            frame.<br>
                            Concerning Bacula Systems having a
                            proprietary version of Bacula, as you<br>
                            probably know the FSFE, Bacula Systems and
                            me representing the Bacula<br>
                            community have recently (Sept 2013) signed
                            an agreement where the<br>
                            features developed by Bacula Systems for fee
                            paying customers will be<br>
                            migrated overtime into the community version
                            (many are migrated in the<br>
                            next community version). In fact, since
                            2008, Bacula Systems has been<br>
                            by far the major contributor of code to the
                            Bacula community version by<br>
                            far. By creating Bacula Systems and signing
                            the agreement with the FSFE,<br>
                            I have found a way to ensure the
                            sustainability of Bacula community from<br>
                            fees paid for by enterprise clients that
                            permit implementing new Bacula<br>
                            Enterprise features that will flow back to
                            the community version. For<br>
                            me, this ensures a bright future for Bacula
                            both in the Enterprise<br>
                            market and in the community, and obviously I
                            am very happy about it.<br>
                            All my plans for the future of Bacula could
                            go up in smoke<br>
                            because according to Bareos and this former
                            Bacula developer, in May of<br>
                            2010 when I solicited a number of FLAs, I
                            was not<br>
                            explicit enough in saying that Bacula
                            Systems could develop a<br>
                            proprietary version. Obviously I believe
                            this is ridiculous.   I would be<br>
                            surprised, but if you believe that I mislead
                            you or the community at any<br>
                            time, I am very sorry, and I would
                            appreciate it if you would tell me<br>
                            what you think.<br>
                            For the above reasons, we are asking
                            everyone who contributed to sign an<br>
                            FLA, otherwise, because of Bareos and this
                            former developer we may be<br>
                            required to remove or rewrite contributions
                            for which we do not have a<br>
                            more current FLA.<br>
                            For the future of Bacula, I would really
                            appreciate it if you would fill<br>
                            out, sign, and send the new FLA version 7.0,
                            attached to this email, to<br>
                            me by post or scanned copy. This will ensure
                            that I hold a clear and<br>
                            valid copyright for everything and that
                            Bacula and Bacula Systems can<br>
                            continue to grow. This request is very
                            unusual, but your participation<br>
                            would be a very nice vote of confidence.   In
                            addition, if you have ever<br>
                            contributed anything -- even something very
                            small where we do not<br>
                            usually require an FLA, it would be even a
                            more significant help to the<br>
                            Bacula project.<br>
                            Being a programmer myself, I know that this
                            administration stuff is<br>
                            unpleasant.<br>
                            If you have questions see below ...<br>
                            Thank you for your contribution(s) to and/or
                            support for the Bacula project.<br>
                            Best regards,<br>
                            Kern<br>
                            Bacula Project Manager<br>
                            Q: I don't understand the FLA.<br>
                            A: Yes, it has a number of technical points
                            and lots of words to make<br>
                            sure there is no problems due to different
                            laws in different countries,<br>
                            and to avoid problems of possible multiple
                            versions.   The basic points<br>
                            for the Bacula project are:<br>
                               1. You wrote some code/documentation/other
                            and you contributed it to<br>
                                    the Bacula project.<br>
                               2. In order for the Bacula project and
                            Bacula Systems to be able to<br>
                                    use the code, you assign the copyright
                            to me (Kern Sibbald).<br>
                               3. I then give back to you a license to
                            use your code as you want.<br>
                               4. Bottom line, we can both legally use
                            the code.<br>
                            Q: I already signed an FLA is this one
                            necessary?<br>
                            A: Yes, more than ever, because it shows
                            your support for Bacula and me,<br>
                            and without it I may need to re-write your
                            contribution, which would be<br>
                            a set back for the community.<br>
                            Q: I already signed one with the Free
                            Software Foundation Europe (FSFE),<br>
                            won't signing this one be a conflict?<br>
                            A: The attached FLA is written to permit
                            signing both agreements without<br>
                            conflict.<br>
                            Q: I don't think my contribution is
                            important enough to warrant an FLA.<br>
                            A: Strictly speaking if you contributed only
                            a couple lines or a simple<br>
                            fix, that is probably true, but I have
                            learned that with legal matters<br>
                            it is better to be safe than sorry, and more
                            than anything else, it<br>
                            shows your support and solidarity with
                            Bacula and myself.<br>
                            Q: I am too busy.<br>
                            A: Yes, I understand that. I am too busy to
                            hassle you for this, but I<br>
                            am doing it to cover all bases possible to
                            keep the community and Bacula<br>
                            Systems working to continue to develop and
                            improve Bacula even when I<br>
                            retire from the project.<br>
                            Q: I don't have a scanner.<br>
                            A: Please send it by post, or take a
                            pictures of all the pages with your<br>
                            mobile telephone (or camera) and email them
                            to me.<br>
                            partnership with Slashdot Media, is your<br>
                            hub for all things parallel software
                            development, from weekly thought<br>
                            leadership blogs to news, videos, case
                            studies, tutorials and more. Take a<br>