List:       bacula-devel
Subject:    Re: [Bacula-devel] Change to exchange plugin to support clusters
From:       "James Harper" <james.harper () bendigoit ! com ! au>
Date:       2009-05-10 4:14:07

> It looks like I need to add a server name option to the exchange
plugin
> to support the case where we want to back up a clustered exchange
> server.
>
> My ideas for this are:

I think I've been approaching this all wrong. What we need is an fd on
each physical server, and then an additional fd on the 'virtual server'
to back up the clustered resources.

This requires:
. Installing bacula-fd service as normal, but making sure that it only
binds to the address of the node
. Creating a new service (copy and paste from the registry should be
sufficient) on each physical server (eg bacula-fd-cluster) that loads a
different config. The differences being:
  . Name = <clustername>-fd
  . Address = <virtual ip address of the cluster>
  . Working/PidDirectories pointing to different places so as not to
conflict
. Service Start Type set to Manual (the next step does this
automatically I think)
. Creating a Generic Service in the windows cluster admin tool, with
dependancies on 'Cluster IP Address' and 'Cluster Name', and 'Use
Network Name for computer name' selected. That last bit is what will
make the Exchange backup 'just work'.

That way, the normal fd backs up the physical machine as normal, and the
cluster fd backs up the clustered resources (shared disk, exchange,
etc). Windows clustering takes care of making sure that the fd is
running somewhere on the cluster. I haven't yet tried this, but will
attempt to do so tonight.

Now I know a bit about what makes Windows tick, and a bit about the
concepts of high availability in general, but the first time I ever used
Windows Clustering was approximately 3 hours ago, so I'm a bit new and
some of the above could be a bit misguided, but any other way just seems
like a bit of a hack (eg and how would you control which physical fd
backs up the cluster?)

If anyone knows anything about windows clustering, please feel free to
enlighten me!

Thanks

James