List:       bacula-devel
Subject:    Re: [Bacula-devel] Windows backup / Linux bare-metal restore
From:       Kern Sibbald <kern () sibbald ! com>
Date:       2008-07-22 13:23:32

You might want to include the bacula-users list on your emails as I am sure
they will be interested to hear your experiences.

Yes, bscan is rather slow.  It essentially, has to "pretend" it is running the
jobs that appear on the tape (it handles multiple simultaneous jobs).  It
reads all the records written to the tape and puts them into the catalog.
Since it does not use the Director, it inserts the records one at a time,
which is very slow.

In some future version, I would like to include the scan capability directly
in the SD, and that way, it could use a "batch insert" to insert the File
records, which is much more efficient.

Best regards,

Kern