List:       bacula-devel
Subject:    Re: [Bacula-devel] Improving job scheduling flexibility
From:       Kern Sibbald <kern () sibbald ! com>
Date:       2008-02-25 21:07:56

On Monday 25 February 2008 11.04:31 Bastian Friedrich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Saturday 23 February 2008, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > My current idea is to create a new "DuplicateJobs" resource and a new
> > Duplicate Jobs directive which would point to the duplicate jobs
> > resource. The reason for the resource is that there are just too many
> > different variations that it would require a lot of new directives, and
> > it seems a shame to add them to every Job.
>
> While your point about redundant setups for different jobs is certainly
> valid, I also like Marc's opinion that directives in JobDefs ressources
> probably would be sufficient.

Yes, I am still thinking about his comments.  There are pros and cons for each
way of doing it ...

> Configuration of existing ressources is more
> simple than understanding the meaning of a new ressource. Adding a new
> ressource would not help the ease of use, esp. for beginners.
>
> > DuplicateJobs {
> >   Name = "xxx"
> >
> >   Allow = yes|no          (no = default)
>
> While I personally in fact don't need duplicate jobs: Wouldn't your
> proposal modify the default behavior of the system, raising some problems
> for some people?

I don't think my proposal, which is currently incompletely thought out will
modify the default.  In any case, any implementation of it will not change
the current behavior by default, though I might consider releasing a default
bacula-dir.conf that has the feature turned on, which won't break any
existing installation.