List:       backhand-users
Subject:    Re: [m_b_users] Virtual Hosts and other ugly things
From:       Sean Chittenden <sean () chittenden ! org>
Date:       2002-04-18 21:05:09

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 04:49:46PM -0400, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
> Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:49:46 -0400
> From: Theo Schlossnagle <jesus@omniti.com>
> Subject: Re: [m_b_users] Virtual Hosts
>
> >>has someone an example configuration for a cluster with x servers
> >>and name based virtual hosts?
> >
> >Better question: does anyone have a patch for the mod_backhand
> >source that allows mod_backhand to work with name based virtual
> >hosts?
> >
> >:~) Currently it does not support this.  How would you handle
> >broadcasting out possibly hundreds of virtualhost names every
> >second?  There are problems with this scenario that aren't trivial.
> >-sc
>
> I have mod_backhand running on a small set of boxes with 30 or so
> virtualhosts.  It works fine.  The broadcasts are per machine, not
> per host.  So, they _should_ only broadcast once per Apache instance
> no matter the number of virtual hosts you have.
>
> Backhand directives were in File, Location and Directory clauses in the
> the Apache configuration file.  I don't understand the problem.

I was thinking of mass virtual hosting.  My bad.  Having looked at his
two prior posts, it looked like he wanted to say server A is handling
virtual hosts X, Y, and Z.  Server B had I, J, and K.  Server C is
acting as a reverse proxy and delegating requests to server's A and B
accordingly.

If you've only got a handfull of machines and the virtual hosts are
specified in the configuration file, you could use byHostname to
delegate requests to A and B.  If you add a new virtual host, you'll
have to add it to server C and HUP apache: mod_backhand doesn't
broadcast the virtual hosts that it serves.  Sorry for the confusion:
my headspace is elsewhere.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden