List:       backhand-users
Subject:    [m_b_users] Basic but strange
From:       Lionel Raynaud <lraynaud () Barneki ! com>
Date:       2002-04-07 14:51:47

We are actually building a two tiers solution using mod_backhand. In
implementing this solution we found a behavior that sounds not clearly
explainable (at least to us ;-). On the frontend servers the use of the
  following simple configuration:

<Directory "/usr/local/apache-1.3.24/htdocs">
#
# This may also be "None", "All", or any combination of "Indexes",
# "Includes", "FollowSymLinks", "ExecCGI", or "MultiViews".
#
# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
# doesn't give it to you.
#
         AllowOverride None
         Backhand byAge
         Backhand byRandom
</Directory>

<IfModule mod_backhand.c>
MulticastStats 192.168.1.255:4445
AcceptStats 192.168.1.0/24

</IfModule>

Either the default apache page is displayed properly, either a HTTP
negative answer is received as:

- "Not Acceptable"
An appropriate representation of the requested resource /index.html
could not be found on this server....

- "Index of /"

Note that if the Apache "Option Indexes" is not allowed, the HTTP
negative answer is becoming "Forbiden (403) - You don't have permission
to access / on this server..."

Interesting too:
- this behaviour is the same independently of the front-end servers
queried, two in our tests.
- This error does not appear as often IF we replace put byLoad instead
of byRandom.

Here a quick description of our topology:

Frontend: 192.168.1.0/24 - backhend: 192.168.2.0/24.

After a proper installation of apache-1.3.24 + mod_backhand-1.2.1 on
multiple hosts (backend and/or frontend) (Solaris 8, 7, FreeBSD, Linux)
we validated quickly the solution simply by connecting a browser to each
apache servers on their <IP>:/backhand/. Outside of the bug with 0/0
servers available,the multicasting of information is working perfectly.

Afterwards, we focused on the front-end servers only and make our first
test as described above. Just to clarify questions on this test, this is
exactly what has been done:

- We stopped the backend servers - Useless at this point -
- Changed the front-end servers httpd.conf config to the one described
below onthe 2 front-end: 192.168.1.10 & 192.168.1.20
- Restarted the front-end
- Validated that <IP>:/backhand/ is displaying the correct 2 servers
- Use a browser on 192.168.1.101 on the same segment with No local
browsing cache (netscape 6.2).

Thx

Lionel