List:       axp-redhat
Subject:    Re: Will "normal" video cards work in PWS500?
From:       jmd <jmd () infinet ! com>
Date:       1999-03-31 2:54:31

John Clayton wrote:

> I have another question that may be WAY off limits for this mail list - I
> apologize in advance.  I really need an answer, so feel free to respond
> directly to me instead of to the list for this one...

Yepppp it sure is!!! but...

> My system is currently Linux/NT dual boot.  I have a lot of software
> for my old Pentium that I'd like to install on the NT side (Office, TK
> Solver, Visual C++, Visual Basic, all "written for Intels") but the
> installations won't run.  I get a message to the effect of "the setup
> script is valid, but the machine is not the right machine for this
> software".  Will the software work if I find a way to forcibly install
> it?  If so, how do I force the installation to go forward?

Go to http://www.digital.com/amt/fx32/index.html and look around. I run FX!32
on my Cabriolet 275Mhz. Not all Intel programs will work however. Check out
the supported software list. The CDrom is like $8 bucks plus shipping or it's
free via download.

I think some of the software you mentioned is available as a native Alpha
port ..either MS Visual Basic or their C++...I forget.

Also check out www.alphant.com and you will find stuff native to AlphaOEM
there.

HTH
jeff duncan