List:       axp-redhat
Subject:    Re: scripts and the 'at' command
From:       Michael Tibor <tibor () lib ! uaa ! alaska ! edu>
Date:       1999-03-30 18:40:04

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Rusty Lingenfelter wrote:

> Bob,
>
> Your script sounds interesting. I am going to use a Linux box (either my Multia
> or my Sparc) as a gateway to my ISP. I will be using a 56K modem, so I was
> thinking about how I would allow the others on the LAN to light up PPP remotely
> (very easily since it is my wife and kids). It sounds like a script like yours
> would be good, then they would not have to holler up the stairs to see if I was
> already on. When you have a minute, I would appreciate some insight into how
> you are using it. Thanks.
>
> Rusty

Have you looked at the IPMASQ Dialer (or something like that)?  You should
be able to find it at freshmeat.net.  What I think makes it interesting is
that it consists of a daemon running on the gateway, and a win32 client
program which can be run on a Windows box in order to bring up/shut down
the ppp link.

I haven't tried it (I'm on a cable modem now), but if I have to go back to
dialup ppp I would definitely look at it.

Mike
--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
LAN Technician     Consortium Library             (907) 786-6050 fax