List:       axp-redhat
Subject:    Re: gdb cannot read core dumps on newer kernels
From:       Richard Henderson <rth () cygnus ! com>
Date:       1998-12-31 22:26:30

On Thu, Dec 31, 1998 at 05:43:22PM -0000, Peter Rye wrote:
> Unfortunately I cannot find "elf_prstatus" in the source for gdb...

It isn't.  It's in <linux/elfcore.h>; I forget the exact path
by which this gets pulled in.  This is fairly losing, and just
the way it's "always been done".

> I presume that this is a relatively easy thing to fix if you have a few
> more clues about programming development tools than I do. If possible, I
> wonder if you would mind expanding a little on which files need to be
> patched etc.

You'll be modifying elf_backend_data in bfd/elf-bfd.h, and elfxx-target.h
to make what is currently elfcore_grok_prstatus switched on the target.

You'll copy that function to elf64-alpha.c and tweek it to handle two
different prstatus_t layouts.

r~