List:       axp-redhat
Subject:    Re: slow extracting an archive on Redhat5.0
From:       Christian Czezatke <e9025461 () student ! tuwien ! ac ! at>
Date:       1998-04-10 8:17:23

Hi!

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Pablo A. Godel wrote:

> Engelhard wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know why extracting an archive on redhat 5.0
> > is too slow?
> > It takes about 9 minutes just to complete command:
> > tar xvzf linux-2.0.30.tar.gz -C /dir
> > On redhat 4.2 (on the same machine, as1000a) it does extract
> > under 10 seconds.
>
> It happens the same to me in an Intel box.

I've noticed the same problem on RHL 5.0 on intel as well as on Alpha:
When extracting an archive, "tar" would pause for a few seconds every now
and then thus slowing down archive extraction to a crawl.

Using "strace" I found out that this delay is due to "tar" trying to talk
to a local portmap daemon. I didn't have a portmapper installed on the
box, so the delay was caused by "tar" waiting for a "select" timeout.

I solved the problem by installing the portmap package. When the
portmapper is running, "tar" doesn't have to wait for these "select"
timeouts.

I don't know whether any recent glibc update from Redhat's errata page
solves that problem. -- But the question remaining is why does "tar" try
to talk to the portmapper in the first place? ;-)

So try to install a portmapper on the local machine and hope that the
problem goes away... ;-)

     hope this helps

     Christian

| Christian Czezatke, Student of Computer Science at the Vienna    |
| University Of Technology.                                        |
| email: e9025461@student.tuwien.ac.at                             |