List:       axp-redhat
Subject:    axppci33 problems with hda[a,b] installation and mouse
From:       Marc Sissom <marcus () dfwmm ! net>
Date:       1998-02-27 3:59:04

Here's an odd one or two:

  While installing RH5.0 on my recently acquired axppci33, I ran
into a strange bit of behavior in disk druid and fdisk. This inst-
allation is just a familiarization run as I have never touched an
alpha or RH before. Anyway, there are two IDE drives(ex-paperweights)
attached. /dev/hda is 400MB and hdb is 100MB. I had planned to
install on hda and put swap on hdb. When the 'druid comes up, the
only drive that I can access is hdb! No matter what I did, I could
not get access to hda. After screwing around trying to find my way
to hda, I gave up and canceled, figuring that I could do it with
fdisk. Unfortunately, fdisk is automagically started with /dev/hdb!

Oh well, I go ahead and install a stripped down system on hdb. In
that respect almost everything is working.

As far as hda goes, it is working as after a boot I can do a mount
of /dev/hda1 on /mnt and access the ext2 file system that was
already there and waiting to be over-written. Does anyone have any
ideas how hdb could be recognized without hda? hda _is_ detected
during the milo and kernel boot sequences as the correct info on
vendor, model, geometry, etc. is displayed.

The only problem that I have with the mini system that I did
install on hdb is with the mouse. It is a serial mouse and the
motherboard is the "AT" version without a ps/2 port. The install
program detects a mouse on "psaux" whether I have the mouse
attached or not. I assume that is the ps/2 mouse port. I have
tried linking /dev/mouse to /dev/cua[0,1], hooking the mouse to
the appropriate header on the motherboard, and manually killing/
starting gpm with the -t option, but no avail, I still get no
sign that the mouse is working.

Thanks for your advice,
Marc