List:       axp-redhat
Subject:    For sale: DEC Alpha 166MHz, 32M RAM, 2G IBM SCSI HD, CDROM, docs and, books, $800
From:       Terry Carroll <carroll () tjc ! com>
Date:       1997-11-27 2:44:13

Hi, gang.  For reasons listed at the bottom, I'm getting out of the Linux
environment, and my UDB is for sale.  Here's the ad that I'm posting in
some newsgroups.  I thought I'd post it here, too, in case anyone was
interested.

As an aside, I've really enjoyed the high-signal content of this list over
the last year, and the way the folks with the knowledge and experience
help out those coming into the fold.  This is a nice community.

For sale:

DEC Alpha Multia 166MHz, 2 Gig SCSI, 32M RAM, SCSI CDROM, RedHat Linux -
$800 and shipping (if not local to the SF bay area -- I'm in Santa Clara).
This is the machine that's referred to as the Digital "Universal Desktop
Box," or UDB.  Email carroll@tjc.com if interested.

System unit:

   CPU:  166 Mhz DEC Alpha 21066A w/16K internal cache (64 Bit) 166 Mhz
   clock speed, 256KB write-back secondary cache.

   RAM: 32M Toshiba, true parity.

   VIDEO:  TGA Video w/2 MB VRAM Graphics accelerator with VGA connector,
   supporting video resolutions of 640X480, 1024X768, 1152X900, 1280X1024
   @60-75 Hz refresh rate.

   SCSI: Integrated PCI Fast SCSI2 internal/external interface (NCR 810).

   Ethernet: Integrated autosensing PCI ethernet.

   PCI slot: 1.

   PCMCIA slots: 2.

   FLOPPY: 1.44MB 3.5" floppy disk.

   SERIAL PORT: 1 connector, supports one serial port, or two if you use a
   Y cable.

   PARALLEL PORT: bidirectional.

   Mouse: PS/2 2-Button Mouse.

   SOUND: CD audio quality input/output with built-in speaker (Microsoft
   sound compatible).

   POWER SUPPLY:  Universal Power Supply: 100 to 120, 220 to 240 VAC
   nominal. 86 to 284 VAC autorange.

   PHYSICAL SIZE:  7.1 cm (2.8 in) Width 31.7 cm (12.5 in) Depth 31.7 cm
   (12.5 in).  To get an idea of the size, it's bigger than a laptop, but
   not by much.  A friend of mine actually mistook it for a laptop.  It's
   the smallest footprint desktop I've ever seen, even less so if you
   stand it on end (as I do).  It includes a stand to stand it on end.

   WEIGHT:  6.1 kg (13.5 lb).

Software:

   RedHat Linux, 4.0 on 2-CD-ROM set.  (Reportedly, this unit can also run
   Windows/NT, but I've never tried it, and I don't have a copy of NT.)

I'm throwing in all the other parts of the setup (except a monitor;
mine's borrowed, and it's an old monochrome 14" that you wouldn't be
interested in anyway):

   DISK: external IBM SCSI 2 Gig drive, RedHat Linux installed.

   CDROM: external SCSI 2x.

   Lots of Linux documentation I've acquired:

   -  Linux Installation and Getting Started version 2.3 (221 pages)
   -  Linux Users' guide (150 pages)
   -  Linux Network Administrators' Guide (348 pages)
   -  Linux System Administrator's Guide 0/4 (102 pages)
   -  Linux Kernel Hacker's Guide Alpha version 0.6 (144 pages)

      (Note: the above docs are printed two-up in three-ring binders.
      They are all available on the net in PostScript form, but it's kind
      of nice to have a printed edition available as you're modifying the
      system)

   Books:

    -  Linux Secrets by Naba Barkakati (IDG Books, 902 pages)
    -  Running Linux, by Matt Welsh and Lar Kaufman (O'Reilly & Assoc.,
       576 pages)

Reason for selling: I got the system unit, including the CPU but no RAM or
peripherals, as a first Linux box, as a hobby machine, in Nov. 1996. I
added the memory, disk and CDROM and installed Linux.  I wasn't prepared
for the time needed to learn both Linux and Alpha, and as it turns out, I
really haven't used it very much, so it's hard to justify keeping it.  On
top of that, I'm getting married, and in preparation for household
merging, I'm getting rid of my mostly-unused computers.

--
Terry Carroll         |
Santa Clara, CA       |