List:       axp-redhat
Subject:    Re: Multia hangs booting run level 3 on network init.
From:       Ryan Kirkpatrick <rkirkpat () nag ! cs ! colorado ! edu>
Date:       1997-10-31 18:43:07

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, tfreeman wrote:

> I'm running RH4.1 on a Digital UDB. When booting, the system hangs either
> indefinitely or for about 4 minutes when the network initialization is hit
> when coming into run level 3. The network is based upon 10baseT, FWIW.
> Most irritating.

	I have a similar problem with booting my UDB (RH 4.0) as well. It
gets to the network initialization and locks up for quite a while. Once
while it was booting I was watching the status of my dialup connection
(controlled by diald) and I noticed that something (not me) had requested
the link up to send packets. It appears that the UDB was wanting an
Internet connection, because no sooner than the link came up, the system
continued booting happily. My guess is something to do with a dns lookup,
but I have never looked real closely at the scripts. I do know that if the
Internet link is not available, or worse, no network, the machine will
lock up on this one point forever!
	It is a rather strange thing that I have never taken the time to
look into. But, then again I only reboot this machine a couple of times a
year (currently has 65+ days uptime), it is not a large problem. Another
strange thing on a related subject is that that the NIC in the UDB sends
out a low level packet onto the network every 20-30 seconds, continuously.
This not really a problem, but I was always wondering why... Some kind of
status check on the state of the network is all I can think of. Oh well,
hope this is of help in some way.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                     |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)    |