List:       axp-redhat
Subject:    Re: running applets w/ DU netscape
From:       "Brian E.W. Wood" <beww () intac ! com>
Date:       1997-09-19 13:10:38

pauln wrote:

> has anyone gotten this to work?  i had no idea they wouldn't run until
> i looked at redhat's site regarding this matter..oddly enough i DID have
> the demo applet's (packaged w/ JDK) running on my axp150 yesterday.
> however since i had no idea thye weren't supposed to work, i completely
> forgot what i did to make it work. oh well..it doesn't work today..
> paul

Assuming you are talking about running with the DU 4.x libraries, there
is a problem with java applets working. It has to do with the fact that
the DU 4.x libXt.so uses poll() calls instead of select().

You can get a workaround from DEC that consists of a libXt.so that uses
select() and a shell script to detect the OS and change the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to point to this modified lib. You
will have to change the script if you are running Linux as the script
will want to see DU as the OS.

If you used a Netscape that came from DEC that would explain why it
worked.

Sorry I don't have the exact location on DEC's system for this
workaround.

--
Brian E.W. Wood - beww@intac.com
"What matters if you get answer in millisecond or