List:       axp-redhat
Subject:    AlphaStation 255 (Actually AlphaBios) question.....
From:       Eric Stewart <jadeking () flash ! net>
Date:       1997-05-30 10:02:00

I'm taking my first stab at installing Linux on an Alpha (been doing the
Intel Linux for years) and have run into a snag.  I've poured over all
the on-line information I can
find, so hopefully someone here can get me on track.

I'm installing Linux to an AlphaStation 255, which has an AlphaBios
(5.12) instead of ARC bios.  I went to DEC's site and found a version of
linload.exe that is supposed to
work with AlphaBios (the other linload.exe has a problem with not
looking for MILO on the same drive as linload.exe, I believe).  When I
began the installation, I was able to load MILO and get into the
installation (in fact the installation completed with apparently no
problems.)  Before I installed, the system did have NT installed, which
I wiped at the request of the machine's owner.  I set up a linux
partition, a swap partition, and a fat partition (for bootloaders,
etc.).

The problem is that I'm not able to load MILO now, as I did for the
original installation.  I do not have linload/MILO on the FAT partition
yet, so am still trying to load it from the floppy.  The AlphaBios will
not even attempt to run linload.exe.  I can however run linload.exe from
the "Run Utility Program" option in the AlphaBios menu, but it needs
parameters passed to it which I don' know.

If anyone has insight on what I'm doing wrong/need to do, I would
appreciate it.  Thanks!

Eric