List:       axp-redhat
Subject:    Re: Trying to get X & net running on alphastation 255
From:       "David Paul Zimmerman" <dpz () apple ! com>
Date:       1996-04-29 15:52:53

>Not sure why you're having problems with the driver.  It may be there
>is something funky about the interrupt handling in the AS255.  Without
>access to an AS255, it's kind of difficult to find out what's going
>on.  Maybe somebody else can help?

I remember having to make changes to the interrupt routing table to get a
(2nd) PCI de4x5 (de450 in my case) to work in my AS250.  Perhaps this is
a related case?  Look around the "AVANTI" sections of
arch/alpha/kernel/bios32.c, specifically pirq_tab and route_tab.

>The one thing you could try is compile a later version of the kernel.
>There have been some bug fixes in the PCI code w.r.t. bridge support.
>But given that the 255 is touted as an entry-level machine, I doubt
>that it contains a PCI bridge.

If it is related to the AS250, it might have a PCI/ISA bridge.  I believe
my problems with the AS250 partially revolved around the ISA sound card
sitting on an interrupt that one of the Ethernets wanted to use.  I can
dig up the relevant email if you're interested.

dp