List:       axp-redhat
Subject:    Re: ALPHA and Oracle 7
From:       "Linus Torvalds" <torvalds () cs ! Helsinki ! FI>
Date:       1996-04-22 11:24:04

This is just a short notice to ask that if anybody -does- have access to both a
Digital UNIX license (for the shared libraries etc) and Oracle 7 for alpha, I'd
be _very_ very interested to hear whether it works under linux..

I've had multiple success reports with Digital UNIX binaries on Linux/alpha, so
it's entirely possible that it does work (it obviously won't be supported by
Oracle at this point, though). However, you may need to set up your filesystem
exactly the way Digital UNIX binaries expect it.

Setting up a linux box to run Digital UNIX binaries is not just a question of
copying over the shared libraries (for which you obviously need a license), but
you also need to have at least

	/sbin/loader
	/usr/bin/sh	(not just /bin/sh)
	.. various things in /etc that especially networking binaries expect ..

If some of these are missing, some executables will just exit silently without
giving any indication of _why_ they exit.

Linux does lack a few Digital UNIX system calls, but those system calls are
very seldom actually used for any user-level binary (they are mostly used by
the X server and some very Digital UNIX-specific stuff)

		Linus