List:       axp-redhat
Subject:    Re: Mach64 status?
From:       "Jay Estabrook - Alpha Migration Tools - LINUX Project" <jestabro () brillig ! amt ! ta
Date:       1996-01-19 15:52:46

> Could somebody fill me in on what the status is of Mach64 support?
> I'd like to update the FAQ some time soon.  In particular:
>
> 	(a) How well does the X server work?  Any problems with
> 	it?  (Such as the font rendering problem that exists with
> 	S3.)

Well, it doesn't crash too often, and there are sometimes some garbage bits
on the screen, but it *is* useful, I believe; Craig Ruff, in Colorado, is
currently really using it on a NONAME or CABRIO or something. I've got it up
on an Alpha XL-266, the CX-DRAM version of Mach64, and it seems as peppy as
the S3-968-VRAM in my CABRIO... :-)

Fonts seem fine, after I fixed some font cache related problems.

Uh, wanna tell me about any S3 font-related stuff?

> 	(b) What Mach64 cards are known to work with the X server?

I've run a GX-VRAM (WinTurbo?) version as well as the CX-DRAM (Graphics
Xpression (sic)) version with success.

> 	(c) Does any Mach64 based card work with the current MILO
> 	based BIOS emulator?  Or are people with those cards stuck
> 	with SRM or ARC for now?

Yes, it seems to be OK, although the BIOS does cause an annoying BEEP at
the end of its initialization... :-(

I have, in the past, resorted to MILO sans emulation because there *did*
seem to be problems. Don't know if they go away when running MILO from a
relatively new ARC console (as is the case on the XL). And I don't know what
would happen on a CABRIO with MILO in FLASH. It ran fine in a NONAME and
an EB66 *without* emulation, but those prolly have/had older ARC consoles.

> Of course, if there is anything else that should go into the FAQ, let
> me know (naturally, I do plan on documenting Dave's eb164 & XL
> successes).

I'll try to think of some... :-)

--Jay++

  American Non Sequitur Society: we don't make sense, but we do like pizza...

Jay A Estabrook                         Alpha Migration Tools
Mailstop: TAY1-2                        (DTN) 227-4202
Digital Equipment Corp.                 (external) (508) 952-4202
151 Taylor Street                       enet: jestabro@amt.tay1.dec.com
Littleton, MA 01460-1407                decnet: tallis::jestabro