List:       axp-redhat
Subject:    IP Broadcast address for Linux/AXP
From:       "Nigel Metheringham" <Nigel.Metheringham () theplanet ! net>
Date:       1995-12-19 19:38:28

[I'm resending this, since it appears not have got to the list -
however I'm at a conference and have nearly no bandwidth to my home
base, so may b mistaken!]

Hi,

I am trying to get Jon Peatfield's bootpc client working on the
alpha, so that we can bring up a system just using bootp to get the
network info.

Basically bootpc builds a packet and then sends it to the IP
broadcast address - 255.255.255.255 - and this should be picked up by
the bootp server.  This works fine on an i386 architecture, but on
alpha it all goes wrong.

A check on whats being sent shows some very screwy results.
An i386 system sends a bootp packet to IP 255.255.255.255 using a MAC
broadcast address.
An alpha (with a preconfigured network which includes a default
route) arps for the MAC address of the default router, and then sends
to IP 255.255.255.255 with the MAC addr set to the of the default
router.

It appears that the Alpha does not recognise and correctly treat IP
broadcasts, which should cause a MAC broadcast.

The code *does* use setsockopt to set SO_BROADCAST

Can anyone help here?

	Nigel.