List:       axis-c-dev
Subject:    Re: Proposal - release versioning and branching model.
From:       Susantha Kumara <susantha () opensource ! lk>
Date:       2005-01-31 11:30:41

Hi all,

I strongly agree with Damitha for not making these kind of discussions
aggressive. Aggressive discussions chase people away from the mailing
lists (and developments) and finally the project is hurt. On the other
hand we need discussions for everyone to put his/her ideas forward in
order to get the best decisions.  Lets keep the balance.

Lilantha your *productive* criticism is welcome. I can remember your
feedback/help/criticisms made us come up with a better architecture for
Axis C++ when we were designing (during 2003 April-July) current Axis C++.

Also I should mention that Axis C++ still has code written by Lilantha
(AxisTransport and Axis2Transport which is the improved version of
AxisTransport).

Thanks,

Susantha.

Damitha Kumarage wrote:

> [...]
>
>I beleive as I see so far in this list every body here can understand the
>imporatance of a stable API(from so many discussions we had in the past)
>We know it. But in practice this is how we do this. All of us like to get rid
>of these defects. As Samisa rightly pointed out we strive to correct this at
>least from 1.5.
>
>We can't always compare Axis C++ with Axis Java. Axis java is widely accepted
>and  matured. But being very slow between releases is not a good thing to
>speak about IMHO.
>
>thanks
>damitha
>
>On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 00:22, Lilantha Darshana wrote:
>My sincere apologies for other developers.
>

>>Samisa,
>>
>>I'm really sorry to write you this and to this mail thread again.
>>I know you  are contributing to correct most of the problem we have
>>and support to enhance this product. Every body really appreciate
>>about that. All of us expect you to continue on that with the same
>>capacity you did it in past.
>>
>>However, you seems so aggressive because, you must have misunderstood
>>my state within this project. This is FYI if you (or anybody) do not
>>know that, and about this project and how it became to this state
>>for you to be a contributor.
>>
>>This project incubated in 2002 - under Sanjiva's guidance - and after a
>>development effort of me and few other handful of ppl. If you do not
>>know it already, you can see following mail archives:
>>
>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=axis-dev&m=101239526825420&w=2
>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=axis-dev&m=101882221017214&w=2
>>
>>Having been silent/inactive for some time does not mean the state I held
>>
>>here is lost. Recent past my contribution to this project involved -
>>Design/architectural reviews, code reviews, *guiding*, and feature
>>support.
>>Speak to Sanjiva (or Chamindra) for more information.
>>
>>*Don't forget that - the state I have been holding *since 2002* within
>>this
>>project, will be held in future as well. You cannot complain about it or
>>
>>make any decision about it*. And don't come and *tell* me what to do
>>here.
>>
>>Only PMC (or board) can change that. If so, I would automatically
>>withdraw my comment.
>>
>>Now the team has quite a numbers of developers around the world. And the
>>
>>project has grown a LOT by their hands since the initial effort. Without
>>
>>developers like you and others we shouldn't have achieve thus far.
>>
>>And remember that when a decision is made, every team member involve in
>>that - and is a collaborative effort. I agree that without fixing defect
>>
>>we can't expect a success in this project.
>>
>>Finally, still if you have any concerns regarding this, lets have a
>>offline
>>discussion. We do not need continuing this thread any more.
>>
>>Thanks others for been so patient on for this discussion thread.

[Attachment #3 (text/html)]

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Hi all,<br>
I strongly agree with Damitha for not making these kind of discussions
aggressive. Aggressive discussions chase people away from the mailing
lists (and developments) and finally the project is hurt. On the other
hand we need discussions for everyone to put his/her ideas forward in
order to get the best decisions.&nbsp; Lets keep the balance.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Lilantha your *productive* criticism is welcome. I can remember your
feedback/help/criticisms made us come up with a better architecture for
Axis C++ when we were designing (during 2003 April-July) current Axis
C++.<br>
Also I should mention that Axis C++ still has code written by Lilantha
(AxisTransport and Axis2Transport which is the improved version of
AxisTransport).<br>
Thanks,<br>
Susantha.<br>
Damitha Kumarage wrote:
  <pre wrap="">Hi,

[...]

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Samisa,

I'm really sorry to write you this and to this mail thread again.
I know you  are contributing to correct most of the problem we have
and support to enhance this product. Every body really appreciate
about that. All of us expect you to continue on that with the same
capacity you did it in past.

However, you seems so aggressive because, you must have misunderstood
my state within this project. This is FYI if you (or anybody) do not
know that, and about this project and how it became to this state
for you to be a contributor.

This project incubated in 2002 - under Sanjiva's guidance - and after a
development effort of me and few other handful of ppl. If you do not
know it already, you can see following mail archives:

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" \
href="http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=axis-dev&m=101239526825420&w=2">http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=axis-dev&amp;m=101239526825420&amp;w=2</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" \
href="http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=axis-dev&m=101882221017214&w=2">http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=axis-dev&amp;m=101882221017214&amp;w=2</a>

[...]

      <pre wrap="">And hope you are not managing and making decisions - but the team
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">does.
Don't forget, I am part of the team and have been very *active* in that
for the last 9 months.

Samisa...

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 03:34:15 -0500, Lilantha Darshana
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" \
href="mailto:ldarshana@edocs.com">&lt;ldarshana@edocs.com&gt;</a> wrote:  </pre>
      <pre wrap="">I think you have misunderstood this, and going in an unnecessary
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">discussion.
    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">and wasting your valuable time that you can spend on defect fixes.
don't worry, as time permits me I would be fixing as many as I can...

FYI - VOTING is not only for a particular version or is not only
managed by release manager for a specific version. if I'm not
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">mistaken.
    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">And only committee members can make decision on changing that - \
that's  </pre>
      <pre wrap="">Dims

I know, Sanjaya will manage 1.5 and will do a great job on that.
And hope you are not managing and making decisions - but the team
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">does.
    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">Finally lets stop this thread here with a JIRA entry for this to \
be  discuss later.

-L

Well there is a right time for everything. While there are *more
important things* like fixing Jira issues are pending it is a *waste
of time* at this point in time to go on discussing this.

I would have more interested in, if you were to discuss how many Jira
isses you could be fixing for 1.5 and would make lost of sense at this
      </pre>
      <pre wrap="">point in time. If you are really serious about the betterment of \
the  project that is the best available option at this point in time is to
have a look at Jira and do some code fixes.

There is a release manager already for 1.5, and I think he will take
care of the release plan as proposed already. And the release manager
will take care of those *VOTES* as well.

Samisa...

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 02:33:29 -0500, Lilantha Darshana
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" \
href="mailto:ldarshana@edocs.com">&lt;ldarshana@edocs.com&gt;</a> wrote:  </pre>
        <pre wrap="">Starting a thread of discussion for future releases does not \
need to  </pre>
        <pre wrap="">be in a specific time interval. And is quite clear, that this \
effort  </pre>
        <pre wrap="">is not for changing the already set plans for 1.5. However, for
upcoming version which we have not set dead line for, we need
agreeing on this after a majority VOTE.

-L

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 01:42:15 -0500, Lilantha Darshana
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" \
href="mailto:ldarshana@edocs.com">&lt;ldarshana@edocs.com&gt;</a> wrote:  </pre>
          <pre wrap="">Every body 100% agree on that and have no question about \
fixing  defect and providing them as soon as ppl expect them in what ever
versions we release next. I know you guys have spent quite a lot
          </pre>
    <pre wrap="">of your valuable time on that.
    </pre>
          <pre wrap="">Here the effort is to little bit change the model on what we \
used  to do since 1.1 until now. and focusing on to reduce number of
defects we *introduce* each time by having better understanding
and a collaboration model. That's why we need discussing even
about proper version numbering scheme, IMO. Some time, these kind
of discussion goes too far when ppl have +ve/-ve arguments.
          </pre>
    <pre wrap="">anyway, that's need to be there.
    </pre>
          <pre wrap="">Now if you carefully analyze the past, we can figure out, why \
we  have
100+ defects for 1.5? Do we need to go on like that until we
100+ satisfy only few
users OR we do a careful analyze and make things better and
provide what users expect, and by adhering to the technology trend
          </pre>
          <pre wrap="">- and finally with less defects. That's save every bodies \
valuable  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">time I hope.
    </pre>
        <pre wrap="">There could be this many issues due to couple of reasons:
[...]

          <pre wrap="">-L

I still believe fixing stuff is more important at the moment than
bothering about numbering.

In the recent past, fixing issues was the main focus, and
dilivering the fixes to users ASAP in the form of releases.
There has been and there is enough discussion going on reagrding
plans to fix pending issues, from 1.1 through to 1.5 - we did not
release all these without reason - but with enough fixes and
          </pre>
    <pre wrap="">features.
    </pre>
          <pre wrap="">Samisa...

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:42:05 -0500, Lilantha Darshana
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" \
href="mailto:ldarshana@edocs.com">&lt;ldarshana@edocs.com&gt;</a> wrote:  </pre>
            <pre wrap="">mmm... Right, that's why we need a collaborative discussion
about visioning here and have a better plan for future. And that
            </pre>
            <pre wrap="">makes every one aware of what need doing to make this \
success.

thanks
-Lilantha

              <pre wrap="">Ahh... In which version would you think we should put \
these  100+ defects fixes? :-)
              </pre>
            <pre wrap="">The next, that is 1.5 ofcource.
Provided we have enough hands fixing them, given that current
active developrs are fixing as much as they can and are fully
occupied doing the same.

Samisa...

            </pre>
    <pre wrap="">
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->

--
Damitha Kumarage
hSenid Software International (PVT) Ltd(Web: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" \
href="http://www.hsenid.com">www.hsenid.com</a>) <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" \
href="mailto:damitha@hsenid.lk(damitha@beyondm.net">damitha@hsenid.lk(damitha@beyondm.net</a>)

Lanka Software Foundation (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" \
href="http://www.opensource.lk">http://www.opensource.lk</a>)

  </pre>