List:       axis-c-dev
Subject:    Re: configure.ac
From:       John Hawkins <HAWKINSJ () uk ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2004-06-14 8:17:02

Who wrote the initial ones - can they do it?

John Hawkins

             Samisa Abeysinghe
             <samisa_abeysingh
                                       Apache AXIS C Developers List
                                                                        cc

              "Apache AXIS C           Re: configure.ac
             Developers List"

Hi,

--- Aleksander Slominski <aslom@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:
> hi,
>
> why there can not be just one top level cnfigure script with options like
>
> ../configure [--with-expat=PATH] [--with-xerces=PATH]
> [--with-apache2=PATH] [--with-apache=PATH] [--deploy-dir=PATH]

Well this is the solution required. Apparently the problem is there is lack
of expertise on how
exactly this could be done.

Samisa...

> after running this configure all is left for developer would be:
> make
> make deploy (which copies necessary deployment config to deploy dir)
>
> i think that would be way simpler than current lot of steps (and three
> bootstrap/configure scripts) and manual editing required to get anything
> to compile ...
>
> thanks,
>
> alek
>
> Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:
>
> >I think making the configure select the required parser and transport is
> >important with the configure script.
> >With the new design of Axis C++, user may want to build a particular
> >parser and not the other when given a choice.
> >It is no harm building make for all. However, in a real scenario, the
> >configure phase should validate that the required elements for the user
> >selection on the machine the build takes place. (Existence of headers
> >and libs). If we are to get there, we have to make sure that only the
> >required make files are generated. Else the user may have to make sure
> >that all the elements required by all options are available on the
> >machine, which is not feasible.
> >(E.g. If I want to use only the Xerces parser, I would not want to have
> >Expat on my systems. Additionally, I would like to see if configure
> >could pick up the headers and libs from my Xerces installation. So that
> >I do not have the trouble of manually copying them here and there)
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Samisa...

Any unauthorized