List:       avro-user
Subject:    Re: avro generated vs. hadoop primitive types
From:       Harsh J <qwertymaniac () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-03-14 18:07:24

Hello,

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 10:41 PM, Aleksey Maslov
<Aleksey.Maslov@lab49.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when I have in avro IDL file declaration of property:
> array  vector;
>
> the Java code generated is:
> List vector;
>
> why it is not typed as List?

Do you mean why it _is_ typed as a List? Am confused a little after
reading your question.

> I thought to communicate + de/serialize data-types – one must use Hadoop
> defined types?

Do you mean ArrayWritables here? Avro has its own ser/de-parts
(encoders/decoders), and does not make use of Hadoop Writables. Avro
is mainly a data serialization system in itself.

Avro can efficiently serialize/deserialize primitives and many
supported constructs. See
http://avro.apache.org/docs/current/spec.html for some details on the
hows/whats of Avro's serialization/deserialization :)

--
Harsh J
http://harshj.com