List:       avro-dev
Subject:    Re: Next release (1.11.1 or 1.12.0)
From:       Martin Grigorov <mgrigorov () apache ! org>
Date:       2022-01-31 19:35:50

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 8:25 PM Ryan Skraba <ryan@skraba.com> wrote:

> Hello, In my opinion, it would be great to release a version 1.11.1 --
> there's been a lot going on in terms of new fixes and some new
> features that could be valuable, and minor releases help encourage
> adoption.
>
> We've been a bit more rigorous in cherry-picking than the last few
> minor releases, so this could probably happen pretty quickly!
>
> Taking a look at the differences between the two branches, I don't
> think there's any reason to bump the major version.  We didn't publish
> any Rust artifacts when we did the 1.11.0 release, so it's probably
> not a big deal about changing the crate name.  I saw the work you did
> on reserving the apache-avro crate, good news!  I don't have any
> strong opinion on whether we should publish the crate now, as it is,
> or only release the Rust source this time.

Rust Cargo allows to refer to a dependency using git address, e.g.
apache-avro = { git = https://github.com/apache/avro.git,
branch="release-1.11.1" } but I think users will appreciate a proper crate
at https://crates.io/crates/apache-avro
I will cherry-pick the Rust commits into branch-1.11 !

> There's a couple issues that are targeted for 1.11.1 in JIRA that have
> PRs open.  I'll try to get some reviews in!

Awesome! Thanks!