List:       avro-dev
Subject:    RE: [VOTE] Avro release 1.6.0 (rc 0)
From:       "Thiruvalluvan M G" <thiru_mg () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2011-10-27 18:12:58

On Ubuntu 11.10
	Verified checksum
	Built for all languages
On Windows
	Built .NET (csharp)
	Java
On Cygwin
	Verified checksum
	Built C++, C

All passed except the following two:
1. Java fails on Windows in mapred tests. Hadoop is not able to change file
permission. It appears that Hadoop FS no longer works on Windows. E.g.

java.io.IOException: Failed to set permissions of path:
\tmp\hadoop-mthiru\mapred\staging\mthiru-2056660275\.staging to 0700
    at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileUtil.checkReturnValue(FileUtil.java:682)
    at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileUtil.setPermission(FileUtil.java:655)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.fs.RawLocalFileSystem.setPermission(RawLocalFileSystem.jav
a:484)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.fs.RawLocalFileSystem.mkdirs(RawLocalFileSystem.java:319)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.fs.FilterFileSystem.mkdirs(FilterFileSystem.java:189)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.JobSubmissionFiles.getStagingDir(JobSubmissionFi
les.java:116)
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient$2.run(JobClient.java:848)
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient$2.run(JobClient.java:842)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.ja
va:1059)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.submitJobInternal(JobClient.java:842)
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.submitJob(JobClient.java:816)
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.runJob(JobClient.java:1253)
    at
org.apache.avro.mapred.TestAvroTextSort.testSort(TestAvroTextSort.java:51)

Should we give up on mapred for windows? I'm fine with that. But so far our
Java port has been working well under Windows. I wouldn't block the release
because of this, because, after all, it appears to be a problem outside
Avro. +1 from me.

2. CSharp port does not build on Ubuntu 11.10. That is because we use
"Client profile" and it is not supported by Mono. We don't really need the
client profile. I'll file a Jira and sumbit a patch for that. This looks to
be a blocker. The CSharp port used always work under Ubuntu + mono. Since
Ubuntu 11.10 is the latest, I think we should support it. -1 from me.

Thanks

Thiru