List:       avalon-dev
Subject:    Download.cgi (was Re: New Avalon site Look in the making.)
From:       Berin Loritsch <bloritsch () d-haven ! org>
Date:       2004-05-28 13:48:22

Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> P.S.  As for the Download, you won't find it. It doesn't exist. I haven't
> looked into the download.html+download.cgi to see how it is hanging together.
> It just struck me as very odd that there were an HTML file in there at all.

The CGI script reads and interprets the .html file.  The .html file is
then expanded (the macros are interpreted and replaced with the
mirroring info).  So, the HTML file provides the overall content and
look and feel while the CGI file is the one actually called.

It works kind of like this:

User browses http://avalon.apache.org/downloads.cgi which invokes the
script.  The script looks for downloads.html and interprets it.

If you can generate the HTML with the macros embedded correctly, then
there is no real problem.  Otherwise this is one of those things where
you have to edit it by hand.

                 - Rich Cook