List:       avalon-dev
Subject:    Re: New Avalon MDS Facility
From:       Timothy Bennett <exterminatorx () comcast ! net>
Date:       2004-03-31 0:21:37

J Aaron Farr wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I just committed the beginnings of an Avalon MDS (Message Driven
> Service) facility.  It allows Merlin to handle JMS MessageListener
> components.  It is based on my earlier PhoenixMDS extension.  You can
> find the code in CVS:  /avalon/merlin/facilities/mds

Thanks!  I'm very interested in this facility.  I used it quite a bit
with the pre-3.2.x Merlin releases.  Great potential.  Along with the
HTTP facility, I'm motivated to help get this ready.

> Couple of things:
>
>  - It definitely has bugs.  In fact, I'm having trouble getting Merlin
> to launch it.  But I figured rather that hold up the process I'd commit
> what I have.

A trait some of us (like me) have yet to get a grasp on...

>  - It uses Jakarta commons-messenger which is still in the sandbox.  I
> imagine if we express and interest and willingness, we might be able to
> get commons-messenger out with a 1.0 release.

I like the use of commons-messenger.  It made for a simple interface to
implement in order to build a message-driven component.  In fact, with
commons-messenger, you don't have to know much about the JMS api at all.
  Simple from the component developer's view point.  A definite plus in
my book.

>  - No test coverage yet.  No real docs either.  But the beginnings of an
> example are in the test directory.

I've got some things I can probably contribute as examples as well,
since I played with it a few months ago.

> It's really rough around the edges, but it will be nice once we get it
> working.  In fact, I can see the facilities coming along wonderfully.
> Eventually we could have something like: HTTP, JMS, JMX, AltRMI, DB and
> more!

Yep.  We have a nice set of facilities shaping up that ought to give us
the foundation to build a application server if that is your fancy.

-- Timothy