List:       avalon-dev
Subject:    Re: Dot Net and Open Source projects
From:       Berin Loritsch <bloritsch () apache ! org>
Date:       2003-09-30 17:55:39

Leo Sutic wrote:

>>From the license:
>
>     You may not use or distribute this Software or any derivative works
> in
>     any form for commercial purposes. Examples of commercial purposes
> would
>     be running business operations, licensing, leasing, or selling the
>     Software, or distributing the Software for use with commercial
> products.
>
> Rotor runs under WindowsXP, OSX and FreeBSD. Not Linux (at least not
> officially).
> (Which is why Mono exists, I assume.)

Which also reinforces what Microsoft employees told me.  They do not like
GPL, but are perfectly fine with BSD or public domain.  In other words, if
it is going to be free/open, then let it be free for real.  The Copyleft
principle is something that they and many other companies have issue with.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin