List:       avalon-apps-dev
Subject:    Re: New Project - Alternative Java Beans
From:       Paul Hammant <Paul_Hammant () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-01-22 2:06:38

Alexis,

Welcome dude.  You ready to post your good news yet?

> > *List of Features*
>
> > Different to EJB in these ways:
>
> > b) Using AltRMI (no remote or home interfaces needed)
> > c) Uses IoC for all actions.  Most of the Avalon Framework intefaces
> are
> > just as applicable (Composable, LogEnabled, Configurable).
> > d) As consequence of (b) and (c) no JNDI needed for bean lookup.
>
> Sometimes JNDI can be useful for fault tolerancy and load balancing.
>
> Some cluster implementation of EJB use the lookup feature to redirect
> the client on an appropriate server that can properly handle the request.
>
> Also, in a cluster approach a fast distributed cache coherency is
> required => quick jvm to jvm communication is mandatory. Maybe
> scratchpad could include distributed cache implementation? This is a
> great challenge ;) ...

We're still aiming to do clusters though,  just in accordance with the
IoC pattern.  A "Home" interface is looked up via componentManager in
one line of code.  It could be anywhere including places that change of
the lifetime of a clustered app.  The availability and capacity moves
aroud the cluster, component Manager handles it...  Same thing,
different IoC based API :-)

> But this might be of topic here :)

No, on-topic :-)

- Paul