List:       autofs
Subject:    Re: nfs mounts not working from 5.0.5 + some patches on
From:       Ian Kent <raven () themaw ! net>
Date:       2012-11-29 6:25:57

On Wed, 2012-11-28 at 18:42 -0800, Thomas Chan wrote:
> >> There should have been something more here.
> >>
> >> You could try setting MOUNT_WAIT to a sensible value for your site
> >> (maybe 15-30 seconds) and see if the problem goes away. If it does then
> >> we need to work out why the server can't be probed for availability.
> >
> > btw, this comment applies to 5.0.7, the probing of singleton mounts was
> > reinstated between 5.0.6 and 5.0.7, to account for changes to nfs mount
> > where long delays were seen when mounting to servers that aren't
> > responding.
>
> I set MOUNT_WAIT=30 as suggested, but the problem persists.
>
> I don't think it's getting to the point where it's even trying to mount as
> I don't see any exec of /bin/mount happening on 5.0.7.

That's right, but that's because it doesn't appear to be going out to
check server availability which happens before the mount.

What I said above assumed you had a singleton mount, which is what it
looked like from the log, but your previous comment sounds like the host
has multiple addresses so the MOUNT_WAIT should make no difference.

So we are stuck trying to work out why the host probing code isn't
checking each host.

Perhaps the best way to deal with this is for you to continue working
through the patches or I can send a patch to print out extra debug info
so we can find where it's broken. That's a bit difficult since it's
iterative and the location of the debug prints are guesses as we narrow
down the location.

OTOH I should be able to reproduce the problem.
Tell me more about the environment, what the map looks like, what the
DNS entries look like, server exports, etc.

Ian