List:       autoconf
Subject:    Re: config.sub/config.guess using nonportable $(...) substitutions
From:       Paul Eggert <eggert () cs ! ucla ! edu>
Date:       2021-03-09 20:14:58

On 3/9/21 5:57 AM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> It seems that config.guess and Autotools packages are picking winners
> and losers.   It is not clear where the bar has been set.

I prefer to draw the line at systems that are no longer supported by
their own suppliers. For Solaris, that means I worry only about Solaris
10 and later, as Oracle no longer supports older versions.

However, this is not a boundary formally set by the GNU project, and
different developers can choose different boundaries, as described in
"Platforms to Support" section of the GNU software maintainers manual
<https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Platforms.html>.

config.sub/config.guess are special in that they're shared among so many
projects, and so the boundary that Ben uses affects a lot of projects'
configuration code.