List:       autoconf
Subject:    Re: Future plans for Autotools
From:       Paul Eggert <eggert () cs ! ucla ! edu>
Date:       2021-01-25 22:10:01

On 1/25/21 5:37 AM, Paul Smith wrote:
> The only thing that would make much of a performance difference, I
> think, is if we are able to replace lots of shell invocations with
> built-in make functions like wildcard, if, etc.

One other thing could be a significant performance win: if we could use
GNU 'make -j' to run most of the guts of the 'configure' script in
parallel. Waiting for 'configure' to finish is something that slows me
down a lot; often times 'configure' takes longer than the subsequent
'make', simply because 'configure' is inherently sequential.