List:       autoconf
Subject:    Re: Autoconf distributions and xz dependency
From:       Warren Young <warren () etr-usa ! com>
Date:       2012-03-06 16:11:55

On 3/6/2012 2:31 AM, Olaf Lenz wrote:

> On 03/06/2012 10:27 AM, Alberto Luaces wrote:
>> Warren Young writes: At least version 1.26 implements -a, which
>> determines the compressor from the file suffix.

I think that may be a red herring, because...

> I think since some years now I don't need to give neither -z or -a, just
>
> tar xvf bla.tar.xz
> or
> tar xvf bla.tar.gz

I did some research, and this was added in GNU tar 1.15, about 8 years
ago: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-tar/2004-12/msg00019.html

Serves me right for not watching ChangeLogs religiously.

Thanks all for cluing me into this new feature.

Alas, I do still use machines with tar < 1.15...

> On 3/6/2012 4:10 AM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>> On Mac OS X Lion, this actually happens: Regardless of the compression
>> algorithm, you always use `-z' while extracting.

I think this is probably also the same feature, where -z or -j is simply
no longer needed for -x or -t.

I tested with bsdtar, and it apparently has the same feature, at least
as of Lion.

Anyway, back to your regularly-scheduled autoconf.